Powered by Blogger.
RSS

[artshow_photo] Re: Year #1 - what I learned!

 

Indeed, my first show that I did a couple weeks ago- was the QUEEN WEST ART CRAWL here in Toronto. It's supposed to be primarily fine art, and that's what it is advertised as. On the application it states that you cannot sell anything other than the art for which you applied... yet my brothers noted that they saw booths selling their art plus jewelry and knick-knacks (unrelated). As well as the booths selling only jewelry. The entry fee was almost $200 plus tent rental and upon further thought, I'm a bit miffed that I could have sold my own jewelry and perhaps made SOME money.

I know it's not all about making money, but you guys are absolutely right in terms of the crowd that attends these things.

Perhaps I will write them a letter...

--- In artshow_photo@yahoogroups.com, "Grinder" <grinder12000@...> wrote:
>
> I suppose I should add that fairs called "Craft Show and BAKE SALE" should be on the list to avoid also!
>
> One thing I have been doing is when I see a show I'm interested in I look for a website. I found one yesterday and the website said that the Organizers, after 22 years would no longer be involved in the event.
>
> This raised a red flag and I contacted them and very politically asked "why" and their thoughts on the fair as it pertained to Artists! They said it had grown more into a craft show but the name was the same.
>
> Rod
>
> --------------------------------------
> >
> > I learned that lesson as well! I might add that SOME festivals that don't
> > contain the word "crafts" really are arts & crafts festivals. I was
> > sorely disappointed with the Cornhill Arts Festival here in Rochester that
> > turned out to be loaded with crafts and commercial displays. When I complained
> > to the organizers after the fact they responded that on their application
> > they mention crafts so I should have known.
> >
> > Oh well. Lesson learned.
> >
> > Carl (Pittsford, NY)
> >
> >
> > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
> >
>

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
Donate to support the ArtShowPhoto Forum at
http://artshowphoto.com/support.htm

PLEASE READ....PLEASE TRIM POSTS!!! Keep quoted material short.
Repeat or create accurate subject lines.

If you want to advertise services related to art shows or photography, either in a forum post or on the resource web site, please contact the forum owner for permission.

Resource web site at
http://ArtShowPhoto.com 
.

__,_._,___

  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • RSS

0 comments:

Post a Comment