Powered by Blogger.
RSS

Re: [artshow_photo] New monitor?

 

Well, unlike the PC manufacturers, you can actually go to an Apple
retail store and see the actual product that you are considering. Yes,
you can go to a big box store and see monitors, but they won't be
attached to a machine with the same video card you are using, and they
will all be expressly decalibrated for maximum saturation and contrast -
great for selling monitors in a poorly-lit warehouse but not helpful if
you intend to do serious color work.

PC users tend to buy their components from Newegg or another online
merchant. Better stuff at better prices and all. But it probably isn't
going to be the same model that Costco has on the shelf.

Incidentally, after you buy an Apple product you have 12 months in which
to purchase AppleCare for it, which gives you another two years
full-coverage warranty. AppleCare is nothing short of awesome, although
I have to say that my experience with Dell isn't all that far behind. My
wife uses a Macbook Air which she bought refurbed from Apple. We kept
meaning to spring for the AppleCare and ended up doing so the day after
the one year was up. Four months later the hard drive died, and we
discovered that the crucial next step of connecting the AppleCare policy
to the actual hardware was not done. Not to worry, despite having
screwed it all up on our end, they got it covered. Then, when they
couldn't replace the hard drive, they had me drive over and get a brand
new machine with a faster processor and larger hard drive. And they gave
me the old hard drive so I could try to salvage the contents, which I
was able to do.

With a desktop PC, if something goes wrong with a component you can just
call somebody like me and we'll drop in something suitable, although it
will almost certainly not be an exact replacement. It might be an
upgrade. The "problem" with Macs is that there isn't a panoply of
third-party products that you can swap in when you run into problems.
Now there are those who have difficulties with this, but I'm going to
bet that they don't get upset about the exact same reality when it comes
to their cars. If you throw a rod in your Mustang, you can't just
trivially upgrade to a Mopar Hemi or a big-block Chev. Even though I
appreciate the flexibility of the PC architecture, and make a good part
of my living catering to it, I can't really see that Apple's approach is
bad for the customer.

Anyway, when I first saw the glossy monitors on the iMacs I was
horrified, but when I've sat down and used them I've had no problem at all.

Van

On 30/11/2010 6:27 AM, sarahfpollock wrote:
>
> OK, one more question about the planned new computer:
> In posts yesterday, I saw some disagreement about whether the monitor
> that ships with a new Mac desktop is as good as some of the other
> manufacturers' products out there currently. I make my own prints for
> sale at shows, so a good display is important to me. Is it worth
> upgrading to a different monitor?
> If so, what?
> Right now, I'm probably looking at a 27" display.
> Thanks again for your help,
> Sarah
> www.sarahpollock.com
>
>

--
----------------------------------------------------------
Sign up now for Quotes of the Day, a handful of quotations
on a theme delivered every morning.
Enlightenment! Daily, for free!
mailto:twisted@whidbey.com?subject=Subscribe_QOTD

For photography, web design, hosting, and maintenance,
visit Van's home page: http://www.domainvanhorn.com/van/
----------------------------------------------------------

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
Donate to support the ArtShowPhoto Forum at
http://artshowphoto.com/support.htm

PLEASE READ....PLEASE TRIM POSTS!!! Keep quoted material short.
Repeat or create accurate subject lines.

If you want to advertise services related to art shows or photography, either in a forum post or on the resource web site, please contact the forum owner for permission.

Resource web site at
http://ArtShowPhoto.com 
.

__,_._,___

  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • RSS

0 comments:

Post a Comment