Just to beat this horse a tiny bit more ...
The air bearings in desktop drives are incredibly durable except for one
thing: oblique gravitational forces. You can mount them right-side up,
up-side down, on end, on edge, it doesn't make any difference at all.
However, if you mount them in any way that the spindle is not either
parallel or perpendicular to the gravitational force, the game is soon
over. My understanding is that mounting a drive seven degrees off square
leads to a 90% drop in life.
As to Seagate, I'm not currently buying any, but I would not hesitate to
buy one of their "ES" drives if the price were competitive with Caviar
Blacks or Spinrite RAID drives. That's the only line that Seagate still
rates for 24/7 use (the Barracudas are all rated for 8/5) and I imagine
they are still built the way other Seagate drives were over the last
decade. Until recently Seagate has generally been pretty good, hurt only
by the fact that when you make as many drives as they have there's no
way not to have quite a few failures. Heck, even the ST-225, a 20 MB
5.25" drive that would burn you if you touched it in operation, actually
lasted about as well as anything else in that era.
Van
On 17/12/2010 12:20 PM, Mark Mattson wrote:
>
> Glad to see I'm not the only old phart left around here :)
>
> I actually just replaced a 100Gb WD IDE drive in my photo machine that
> has bearing whine that comes and goes...sounds almost like the start
> of a head crash (buzzy whine that comes and goes), but definitely
> bearing. The drive is going on 9 years old, which for any hard drive,
> is a VERY old one...I've seen most drives last on average 6 years on
> 24/7 use.
>
> I would strongly recommend staying well away from Seagate and Maxtor
> drives. Seagate now owns Maxtor, and I have had nothing but bad times
> with Maxtor products. Seagate was a good brand way back in the day,
> but their marriage with Maxtor makes me nervous about their products
> now, especially considering the aforementioned 7200.10 series drives.
>
> Stick with Western Digital...you can't go wrong.
>
> Mark
>
--
----------------------------------------------------------
Sign up now for Quotes of the Day, a handful of quotations
on a theme delivered every morning.
Enlightenment! Daily, for free!
mailto:twisted@whidbey.com?subject=Subscribe_QOTD
For photography, web design, hosting, and maintenance,
visit Van's home page: http://www.domainvanhorn.com/van/
----------------------------------------------------------
[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
http://artshowphoto.com/support.htm
PLEASE READ....PLEASE TRIM POSTS!!! Keep quoted material short.
Repeat or create accurate subject lines.
If you want to advertise services related to art shows or photography, either in a forum post or on the resource web site, please contact the forum owner for permission.
Resource web site at
http://ArtShowPhoto.com






0 comments:
Post a Comment