Powered by Blogger.
RSS

Re: [artshow_photo] Re: 24" IMAC hard drive replacement

 

Carlton:

One thing you need to be VERY careful of when opening the case and moving the CRT tube.

The anode connection on a CRT has upwards of 40,000 volts or more (depending on the tube) that does NOT discharge, even when you remove power to it. It can, at the least, give you a very nasty greeting if you discharge it with your fingers. People that try to diagnose their own tv's or monitors can get tossed across the room or even killed by this. (Not so much any more, now that LCDs have taken place of CRT tubes).

To be safe, when you get the case open, look for the thick (usually black or red) wire that goes into the side of the tube. It has a rubber cup over it. Get an alligator clip lead from Radio Shack if you don't have one, and clip one end to some metallic object outside the computer (radiator, water pipe, sink faucet, etc. And be sure that the computer is UNPLUGGED as well). Take the other end of the clip lead and attach it to your screwdriver. VERY carefully, work the end of the screwdriver under the rubber cap of the anode lead. When you get near the contact, you will hear a SNAP as the voltage is discharged from the tube. This will render it safe for you to be working around it

As I am not a Mac person (PC since the beginning and before), I am not sure if you would need to move the CRT assembly or not. I'm just basing this on your response as sounding like you would need to do so. By doing this procedure and removing the residual charge, you could even remove the anode lead from the tube (it's a clip, not hard to figure out how to do it), and move the entire tube assemble out of the way. Just be sure, if you DO remove the lead, to get it back in...the voltage it puts out will definitely kill the machine as soon as power comes on if it's loose inside.

Mark

----- Original Message -----
From: Carlton W
To: artshow_photo@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Saturday, December 18, 2010 7:24 AM
Subject: [artshow_photo] Re: 24" IMAC hard drive replacement

Wow.. Thank you Van, Bryan, Mike & Mark,
That was a great read.
I tried scanning the disk to no avail so I turned everything off for a couple of days and today I have very slowly been able to transfer my data to an external drive. All of the applications have been copied over as well as music & photos but I also have my photos backed up to other drives.
I did read the link Van posted and I believe with a couple of suction cups, a small phillips & a torque driver, I should be able to lift the screen out of the case and access the drive and make the swap.
I have several Iomega Firewire external hard drives and one of them is dedicated for Time Machine so I may be able to use that to get the new drive up & running but if not, I have the portable that I can reapply each software application if needed. I also have all my Photoshop & other disks.
I am looking at a Western Digital Caviar Black 1 TB Bulk/OEM Hard Drive 3.5 Inch, 32 MB Cache, 7200 RPM SATA II WD1001FALS for a replacement. Only $87 :)
http://www.amazon.com/Western-Digital-Caviar-Black-WD1001FALS/dp/B001C271MA/ref=wl_it_dp_o?ie=UTF8&coliid=I1VJ7OO54LWH9&colid=3CU1Z8561K51Q

You guys have been great, I am very grateful & appreciative for your feedback & suggestions.
Thank you all very much,
Carlton

--- In artshow_photo@yahoogroups.com, "G. Armour Van Horn" <vanhorn@...> wrote:
>
> Just to beat this horse a tiny bit more ...
>
> The air bearings in desktop drives are incredibly durable except for one
> thing: oblique gravitational forces. You can mount them right-side up,
> up-side down, on end, on edge, it doesn't make any difference at all.
> However, if you mount them in any way that the spindle is not either
> parallel or perpendicular to the gravitational force, the game is soon
> over. My understanding is that mounting a drive seven degrees off square
> leads to a 90% drop in life.
>
> As to Seagate, I'm not currently buying any, but I would not hesitate to
> buy one of their "ES" drives if the price were competitive with Caviar
> Blacks or Spinrite RAID drives. That's the only line that Seagate still
> rates for 24/7 use (the Barracudas are all rated for 8/5) and I imagine
> they are still built the way other Seagate drives were over the last
> decade. Until recently Seagate has generally been pretty good, hurt only
> by the fact that when you make as many drives as they have there's no
> way not to have quite a few failures. Heck, even the ST-225, a 20 MB
> 5.25" drive that would burn you if you touched it in operation, actually
> lasted about as well as anything else in that era.
>
> Van
>

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
Donate to support the ArtShowPhoto Forum at
http://artshowphoto.com/support.htm

PLEASE READ....PLEASE TRIM POSTS!!! Keep quoted material short.
Repeat or create accurate subject lines.

If you want to advertise services related to art shows or photography, either in a forum post or on the resource web site, please contact the forum owner for permission.

Resource web site at
http://ArtShowPhoto.com 
.

__,_._,___

  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • RSS

0 comments:

Post a Comment