Powered by Blogger.
RSS

Selling Stock Photography Re: getting started with stock selling

 

Shaun,

You don't look like you need much help, but here's my two cents worth.

First, if you haven't already, check out the web sites of a couple of the top stock photographers in the world: Yuri Arcurs (http://www.arcurs.com/) and Lise Gagné (http://lisegagne.com/). I especially like Yuri's tour of his studio (in videos). These people really make money at stock photography.

I don't make lots of money. I just make enough to cover expenses. But, that's OK with me. I do it for fun and for a "retirement" vocation.

I contribute to several microstock agencies, the top producing being iStockphoto and Shutterstock. It took me 5 years of really uploading photographs to get to where I am. You can find stats of istockphoto photographers at http://istockcharts.multimedia.de/ (how many files they have uploaded, how many sales they've had, etc.). Very interesting.

Getting accepted is a matter of following an agency's submission rules and seeing what happens. I wouldn't give up if I were rejected once. Keep trying.

And I wouldn't listen to anyone badmouthing microstock agencies. Unfortunately, few photographers get $500 or $1000 per photograph anymore. Those are bygone days. Know today's markets and what people want (web-based, brochures, online news, image messaging...you tell me as I'm past my prime). It still is supply and demand, after all.

So, just go for it. Keep trying different things. See what works for you. And be sure to have fun.

John

John Sfondilias
http://sfondilias.com
john@sfondilias.com

--- In selling_stock_photography@yahoogroups.com, "ramsayshaun115" <shaun.ramsay@...> wrote:
>
> Hi everyone,
>
> I've been in business for about a year and a half and am looking to take the plunge into stock selling, though I don't have experience with it.
>
> My website is www.shaunramsay.com. I'm also on flickr at www.flickr.com/photos/shaunramsay. If anyone has suggestions about stock companies that are accepting new photographers, I would be interested to know and appreciate any tips and advice.
>
> Thanks and Happy New Year!
> Shaun
>

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
MARKETPLACE

Stay on top of your group activity without leaving the page you're on - Get the Yahoo! Toolbar now.

.

__,_._,___

  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • RSS

0 comments:

Post a Comment