Powered by Blogger.
RSS

Selling Stock Photography Re: Microstock: up, down or the same?

 

Brian,

It was noted on a forum as a sign of micro malaise that arcurs had not updated his microdiaries or whatever since march. This fact led me to some investigations. I also figured that most supplying istock in a professional manner have seen their sales go way down. I just wanted to see what anyone had to say here. I guess nothing. We'll see how the future shapes.

I have seen so many people disappear and all but stop supplying many free for all portals that it's amazing. Of course, there are new people coming in but I still think it really takes a lot of time and effort to make any sales that could be considered worth the trouble. We must remember that in the western world, most adults make several thousand euros a month just working somewhere. In the country I am now, the average wage is 3000 euros a month. People here have no desire whatsoever try get into any scheme that could net them something here and there. Of course, there are people in poorer regions who would like to make more, but their English is often inadequate for keywording and so on. I could bet that at least in the western world the biggest fad times of stock photography are over. They are going to move on to the next racket. That's how it's always been and that's how it will always be. The next big thing could be video stock and making films, but that's a lot harder than shooting a photo here, another there. Of course, anyone trying to get people to pay for stock workshops and teach them would like to disagree. But they have a vested interest in doing so.

There are ways to make it in stock and there are always people who go further than others. Most people are lazy, they play the lottery, they get nowhere. They are full of plans, good thoughts, but then they sit in front of the tv and forget it all. This applies to those who would like to be active at a gym, or shoot and edit photographs for portals, agencies, pennyplaces.

Anyways, this discussion didn't reveal much but it's not important, either. Have to get busy now, as the train to Russia is already being polished and prepared for the trip towards the unknown lands. And as to travel, I wouldn't go there or anywhere unless I hadn't already secured a satisfactory amount through commissions.

Peter Forsberg

--- In selling_stock_photography@yahoogroups.com, "Brian Yarvin" <brian@...> wrote:
>
> > You are of course right. But until now the "micromen" have come out with stats
> > etc. to show that it's business as usual. Now even that arcurs fella is keeping
> > quiet.
>
> Peter:
>
> I had no idea that Arcurs was saying anything in public and I feel that read too many boards
> already. Because so many people boast about some sale or another I never take any numbers
> I see on ,boards seriously. And face it; their silence can be for an infinite number of reasons.
>
> > I know the history (I think I learnt it from you). I know you fear the
> > floodgates opening up from the micros and them heading our way.
>
> This has been a longstanding concern of mine but I would no longer call it "fear." I'm way
> beyond fear now in the same way that explorers get beyond their fears and face the unknown.
> Yes, the fears are there and even vivid, but we explorers are beyond them.
>
> > But I think many hobbyists are giving up macro too for lack of sales. It's a full
> > time job, any way you look at it.
>
> How did you find this out? I see no dimunition at all. Certainly, if the number of people signing
> up for workshops is any indication, the number is growing. As far as I can tell (by the means
> available to me) the number of people trying to sell images through agencies is as high as
> ever.
>
> I also believe that the percentage of people entering the field who are satisfied with what they're
> getting is also far higher than it used to be. Paths of entry like Alamy and microstock make it
> much easier to see modest results than the methods we knew a decade or two ago.
>
> > Any half-hearted attempt, any "I will do it on the side too make extra cash"
> > approach is doomed to failure. Anyway, it's good to hear your thoughts, as ever.
>
> This isn't as true as it once was. A person with access to marketable subjects can get their
> images in front of buyers far more easily than they could have back in the day. Indeed, the
> whole industry looks far better to me than it did even a couple of years ago. Of course, those
> who choose foolish specialties like "travel" and "nature" face the same reality they always
> have, but who wants to beat that dead horse?
>
>
> > What about Age? Their phone call sales would be even higher than Alamy's?
> > Any thoughts on editorial vs. commercial on age phone vs. search through
> > internet?
>
> I doubt it. AGE is mostly a commercial agency and their core business is marketing lifestyle
> images with a European/Latin flavor. While they seem to be happy (these days I veiw them
> only from the outside) to put up other subjects on their site, I doubt that they get many
> requests for them. I mean...when was the last time you saw a promotion for AGE with editorial
> images?
>
> Brian Yarvin
> Author, Educator, Photographer
> http://www.brianyarvin.com
>

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
.

__,_._,___

  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • RSS

0 comments:

Post a Comment