Powered by Blogger.
RSS

[artshow_photo] Re: Year #1 - what I learned!

 

I am a jeweler and I see this a lot. It is really unfortunate, because it hurts the jewelers. I was at an art fair recently that is a perfect illustration of this.

The show had only 45 artists, all of which had quality art. Like most shows, this one had a high percentage of jewelers (it seemed even more than usual though), but to top that off, there were at least 4 other artists (glass, ceramics, etc.) selling jewelry in addition to their juried category, despite the application & contract specifically not allowing this. That adds another 10% of booths offering jewelry on top of an already high concentration of jewelers.

The art fair director did not address this and the extra jewelry was displayed for sale through the duration of the event. It is a shame that directors/organizers repeatedly do not follow through on their own rules. I don't know if this impacted me, but my total sales for the weekend were lower than the average of my other fairs this year.

I was thankful, however, that the number of artists was limited to 45, an appropriate size to fit the attendance. So many organizers add more and more artists, diluting the amount of revenue potential for each artist--the attendance can't support an unlimited number of artists.

Thank you, aimeerochard, for choosing to respect the rules.

Heidi

--- In artshow_photo@yahoogroups.com, "aimeerochard" <aimeerochard@...> wrote:
>
> Indeed, my first show that I did a couple weeks ago- was the QUEEN WEST ART CRAWL here in Toronto. It's supposed to be primarily fine art, and that's what it is advertised as. On the application it states that you cannot sell anything other than the art for which you applied... yet my brothers noted that they saw booths selling their art plus jewelry and knick-knacks (unrelated). As well as the booths selling only jewelry. The entry fee was almost $200 plus tent rental and upon further thought, I'm a bit miffed that I could have sold my own jewelry and perhaps made SOME money.
>
> I know it's not all about making money, but you guys are absolutely right in terms of the crowd that attends these things.
>
> Perhaps I will write them a letter...

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
Donate to support the ArtShowPhoto Forum at
http://artshowphoto.com/support.htm

PLEASE READ....PLEASE TRIM POSTS!!! Keep quoted material short.
Repeat or create accurate subject lines.

If you want to advertise services related to art shows or photography, either in a forum post or on the resource web site, please contact the forum owner for permission.

Resource web site at
http://ArtShowPhoto.com 
MARKETPLACE

Hobbies & Activities Zone: Find others who share your passions! Explore new interests.


Get great advice about dogs and cats. Visit the Dog & Cat Answers Center.


Stay on top of your group activity without leaving the page you're on - Get the Yahoo! Toolbar now.

.

__,_._,___

  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • RSS

0 comments:

Post a Comment