Powered by Blogger.
RSS

[artshow_photo] Re: 24" IMAC hard drive replacement

 

Wow.. Thank you Van, Bryan, Mike & Mark,
That was a great read.
I tried scanning the disk to no avail so I turned everything off for a couple of days and today I have very slowly been able to transfer my data to an external drive. All of the applications have been copied over as well as music & photos but I also have my photos backed up to other drives.
I did read the link Van posted and I believe with a couple of suction cups, a small phillips & a torque driver, I should be able to lift the screen out of the case and access the drive and make the swap.
I have several Iomega Firewire external hard drives and one of them is dedicated for Time Machine so I may be able to use that to get the new drive up & running but if not, I have the portable that I can reapply each software application if needed. I also have all my Photoshop & other disks.
I am looking at a Western Digital Caviar Black 1 TB Bulk/OEM Hard Drive 3.5 Inch, 32 MB Cache, 7200 RPM SATA II WD1001FALS for a replacement. Only $87 :)
http://www.amazon.com/Western-Digital-Caviar-Black-WD1001FALS/dp/B001C271MA/ref=wl_it_dp_o?ie=UTF8&coliid=I1VJ7OO54LWH9&colid=3CU1Z8561K51Q

You guys have been great, I am very grateful & appreciative for your feedback & suggestions.
Thank you all very much,
Carlton

--- In artshow_photo@yahoogroups.com, "G. Armour Van Horn" <vanhorn@...> wrote:
>
> Just to beat this horse a tiny bit more ...
>
> The air bearings in desktop drives are incredibly durable except for one
> thing: oblique gravitational forces. You can mount them right-side up,
> up-side down, on end, on edge, it doesn't make any difference at all.
> However, if you mount them in any way that the spindle is not either
> parallel or perpendicular to the gravitational force, the game is soon
> over. My understanding is that mounting a drive seven degrees off square
> leads to a 90% drop in life.
>
> As to Seagate, I'm not currently buying any, but I would not hesitate to
> buy one of their "ES" drives if the price were competitive with Caviar
> Blacks or Spinrite RAID drives. That's the only line that Seagate still
> rates for 24/7 use (the Barracudas are all rated for 8/5) and I imagine
> they are still built the way other Seagate drives were over the last
> decade. Until recently Seagate has generally been pretty good, hurt only
> by the fact that when you make as many drives as they have there's no
> way not to have quite a few failures. Heck, even the ST-225, a 20 MB
> 5.25" drive that would burn you if you touched it in operation, actually
> lasted about as well as anything else in that era.
>
> Van
>

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
Donate to support the ArtShowPhoto Forum at
http://artshowphoto.com/support.htm

PLEASE READ....PLEASE TRIM POSTS!!! Keep quoted material short.
Repeat or create accurate subject lines.

If you want to advertise services related to art shows or photography, either in a forum post or on the resource web site, please contact the forum owner for permission.

Resource web site at
http://ArtShowPhoto.com 
MARKETPLACE

Stay on top of your group activity without leaving the page you're on - Get the Yahoo! Toolbar now.


Hobbies & Activities Zone: Find others who share your passions! Explore new interests.


Get great advice about dogs and cats. Visit the Dog & Cat Answers Center.

.

__,_._,___

  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • RSS

0 comments:

Post a Comment