Probably 8 inch platters. There may have been some oddball sizes here
and there, but basically it was 14", 8", 5.25", 3.5" 2.5" and 1". When
IBM released the "Winchester" drive (30 MB fixed, with a 30 MB removable
disk pack that locked onto the same spindle, the "over and under"
configuration and the capacity led to the nickname) it was 14 inches.
Alan Shugart was king of the 8" drives with the SASI interface, although
the mini manufacturers probably all built them. I think Miniscribe was
first out with 5.25, I remember their odd design that had part of the
head-positioning mechanism outside the sealed case. The sealed case
itself began with the 5.25-inch drives, the larger drives were closed
but not sealed, and the 14" drives at least involved routinely changing
air filters, which were bought at medical-supply houses.
I've owned and used everything along the way except an 8-inch drive, and
I haven't gotten to any of the 1" drives yet. I also never dealt with a
couple of the high-end interfaces like fiber loop, but I've used SASI,
whatever it was in the XT era that used two ribbon cables, single-ended
and differential SCSI, three or four generations of IDE (remember when
IDE had a 504MB limit?), ATA, and SATA. It's just a damned good thing
they were spread out over so many years, I don't think I could handle it
if they were all in current use.
Van
On 17/12/2010 11:58 AM, J Bryan Kramer wrote:
> I never personally had one that big, I did have a full size drive that was
> shoebox size. I think it was 10 MB. And the PDP mini that we had for some
> years had a drive about the size of a big bread box, I thought it had 10
> inch platters but I'm not sure. I can't recall the size on that one but it
> was like 1 MB or something.
>
> I recall an article in the newspaper bragging about the Amdahl 360 mainframe
> on campus being upgraded to----1 MB!!
>
> BK
>
--
----------------------------------------------------------
Sign up now for Quotes of the Day, a handful of quotations
on a theme delivered every morning.
Enlightenment! Daily, for free!
mailto:twisted@whidbey.com?subject=Subscribe_QOTD
For photography, web design, hosting, and maintenance,
visit Van's home page: http://www.domainvanhorn.com/van/
----------------------------------------------------------
http://artshowphoto.com/support.htm
PLEASE READ....PLEASE TRIM POSTS!!! Keep quoted material short.
Repeat or create accurate subject lines.
If you want to advertise services related to art shows or photography, either in a forum post or on the resource web site, please contact the forum owner for permission.
Resource web site at
http://ArtShowPhoto.com






0 comments:
Post a Comment