In addition to the metal tear bar that we printmakers use, we also have
another trick that gives a very believable deckle edge.
Unfortunately I don't think this will work for a printed photograph because
it requires wetting the paper.
You just take a standard brush (the fine painting kind, not the paint the
wall kind) or a sponge brush. Dip in distilled water and "draw" a wet line
along the straight edge. Let soak for a few seconds and then just separate
the paper by holding down the straight edge with one hand and gently pulling
mostly away and a little upward with the other.
As I said, this probably won't work with printed photographs. Might run a
test or two with photo paper too since the technique works best with
unsized, hand-made paper.
Aside from that, they sell tear rulers with irregular edges to create faux
deckles at many art supply stores but the result, for us hand-made paper
purists, is far from a natural deckle.
Maria
[=o=]<>[=o=]<>[=o=]<>[=o=]
www.1000woodcuts.com
www.artfestivalguide.info
[=o=]<>[=o=]<>[=o=]<>[=o=]
Subject: Re: [artshow_photo] Rough Edges on Paper--How?
Thanks, Van. No, I don't want to "fool" anyone. What I would like to do is
float mount a nice photo printed on rough textured paper with those kinds of
edges. Sounds like maybe I'll have to investigate home paper-making? I
mean,
how would one have just the right size for their image, if not custom made?
Or,
perhaps the answer would be more to investigate transfers onto that kind of
paper.
Kim
http://www.walkerdesignworks.com
[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
http://artshowphoto.com/support.htm
PLEASE READ....PLEASE TRIM POSTS!!! Keep quoted material short.
Repeat or create accurate subject lines.
If you want to advertise services related to art shows or photography, either in a forum post or on the resource web site, please contact the forum owner for permission.
Resource web site at
http://ArtShowPhoto.com






0 comments:
Post a Comment