I'm starting to do some of my own printing, but I still think this is silly. In the days of film, the darkroom was the processing. Today, we do that processing on computers and what we want of the printers is that they duplicate as much as possible what we see on our monitors. That is not art. Craft, maybe.
Is the issue that adjustments can be made at the point of printing? I forget about that because I always tell them no adjustments, thank you very much... Now that I think of it, I've also read about photographers who hire others to do the post processing. I've forgotten who now, seems to me a rather well advertised photographer -- anyone know? My guess is wedding photographers might, but I think it was not the case in what I remember.
"Even Ansel Adams" didn't do his own printing after he set things up for the darkroom. Well, with our computers, we have set things up already.
--- In artshow_photo@yahoogroups.com, "Barry" <bvangrov@...> wrote:
>
> Well, I'd hate to think we've reached a point where it's "beyond most photographers expertise" to make their own prints! I'm not one of those darkroom snobs - I shoot and print digitally and, believe me, I don't miss the mess and expense of the darkroom one bit - but I also believe that the art of the print is just as important as capturing the image. And just because the print comes off of an inkjet printer rather than from a chemical tray doesn't make it any less important of a skill for all photographers who consider themselves artists. The print is the actual "piece of art" and the artist needs to have controlled the entire process.
>
> I have no problem with using professional print labs when needed - I use one when I need prints larger than I can print on my Epson 3880 - but I give the lab a processed, ready to print file and a small print for them to match so I've kept control of the process.
http://artshowphoto.com/support.htm
PLEASE READ....PLEASE TRIM POSTS!!! Keep quoted material short.
Repeat or create accurate subject lines.
If you want to advertise services related to art shows or photography, either in a forum post or on the resource web site, please contact the forum owner for permission.
Resource web site at
http://ArtShowPhoto.com






0 comments:
Post a Comment