sorry - expertise was the wrong word. "Hardware" I suppose would be the
correct term.
Personally I don't have the cash to play with a Canon IPF9000 12 ink printer
which my canvas are on. I don't want to spend time putting on 6 coats of
protection and letting them dry for a day.
To be honest - it would be no fun at all for me. So for me a show that says you
MUST print your own is telling me they want content and not quality because many
people will not put the amount of love that I pay someone else to work on my
images! LOL - I made myself laugh there!
Rod
Melotte Photo Imagery
Photography With an Edge
________________________________
From: Barry <bvangrov@yahoo.com>
To: artshow_photo@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Wed, May 25, 2011 3:52:28 PM
Subject: [artshow_photo] Re: Canvas Printing
Well, I'd hate to think we've reached a point where it's "beyond most
photographers expertise" to make their own prints! I'm not one of those darkroom
snobs - I shoot and print digitally and, believe me, I don't miss the mess and
expense of the darkroom one bit - but I also believe that the art of the print
is just as important as capturing the image. And just because the print comes
off of an inkjet printer rather than from a chemical tray doesn't make it any
less important of a skill for all photographers who consider themselves artists.
The print is the actual "piece of art" and the artist needs to have controlled
the entire process.
I have no problem with using professional print labs when needed - I use one
when I need prints larger than I can print on my Epson 3880 - but I give the lab
a processed, ready to print file and a small print for them to match so I've
kept control of the process.
Here's an idea that I've never thought of this until just now: We need labs that
rent out space and time on large pro printers just like the days when one could
rent time in a commercial darkroom for those that didn't have their own. Their
would be a tech hanging around to handle the actual printer but everything else
would be controlled by the customer using on premises computers loaded with
Photoshop. You'd bring your image files on CD and you could bring your own paper
or buy from a selection of papers offered by the lab. Pay by the hour just like
darkroom time. Hey, that might make a good business model!
--- In artshow_photo@yahoogroups.com, Rod Melotte <grinder12000@...> wrote:
>
> You have to MAKE your own prints? I would say screw that show!
>
> Just my opinion but that is above and beyond most photographers expertise.
>
> Melotte Photo Imagery
> Photography With an Edge
>
>
>
>
>
> ________________________________
> From: Thomas <tom@...>
> To: artshow_photo@yahoogroups.com
> Sent: Wed, May 25, 2011 11:39:05 AM
> Subject: [artshow_photo] Canvas Printing
>
>
> I have a couple of images that I think might work well as canvas prints. I have
>
> a show coming up in the Fall that requires I make my own prints. The largest
> print I can make in-house is 17x22 with the Epson 3880. After the 4" for the
> wrap, the largest piece I can produce is 13x18. Is this too small for an
> impressive canvas wrap? Subjects are basically landscapes. Anybody using the
> 3880 for canvas?
>
> Thanks,
> Tom Gatlin
>
>
>
>
> [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
>
[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
http://artshowphoto.com/support.htm
PLEASE READ....PLEASE TRIM POSTS!!! Keep quoted material short.
Repeat or create accurate subject lines.
If you want to advertise services related to art shows or photography, either in a forum post or on the resource web site, please contact the forum owner for permission.
Resource web site at
http://ArtShowPhoto.com






0 comments:
Post a Comment